Rocks, crystals, fossils, volcanoes…. boots, hammer, map, satellite images and microscopes. 150 years ago, adventurous geologists explored our planet to uncover the secrets of geology with a hammer in their hand. Today they use cutting edge technology such as electron microscopes, satellite imaging, laser scanners, and robots.
What does the average day of a geologist look like today?
What can you expect if you choose to be a geologist?
Within the framework of the ENGIE project (ENGIE – Encouraging Girls to Study Geosciences and Engineering, www.engieproject.eu) the European Federation of Geologists (EFG) announces a VIDEO CONTEST FOR 12-18 YEARS OLD GIRLS IN EUROPE. Show us what you think a geologist does at work in an up-to-3-minute-long movie!
Deadline for the application: 30 November 2020
Share your ideas and win a fabulous prize!
Use your imagination and be creative!
How to enter?
- Fill in the entry form below.
- Upload your video file and a statement of consent signed by your parent or personal representative.
- There is no restriction on the topic or the technique.
How to upload your video?
- You can upload your video and statement of consent under application.
- Name your video file as firstname_familyname_titleofyourvideo_VIDEO
- Name your scanned statement singed by your parent or personal representative as firstname_familyname_titleofyourvideo_STATEMENT
- The language of the video has to be English, but you can also use your native language with subtitles.
- No restrictions on the video format, but HD, H264, MP4 video is preferred. Your video can be maximum 3 minutes long with a file size less than 1 GB.
There will be a two-stage evaluation. The first round narrows down the number of entries to the best movies. The jury then selects the best three movies. The jury members are ten world-class geologist women from around Europe. Aspects of the assessment:
Artistic value 👩🎨
Technical implementation 🎥
The best movies will be uploaded to the website of the ENGIE project. From 16-20 December 2020, everybody will be able to vote for the best movie, and a special prize will be awarded based on the votes of the audience.
To give it a little twist and provide motivation, we have another competition at the same time: The jury members are also making movies about their work as a geologist, and by entering the competition with your own movie, you earn the right to jury their production.
- Step 1: shoot and edit your 3-min video 📹
- Step 2: download, fill in, sign, and scan the statement of consent 📝
- Step 3: complete the application form below, upload your video and consent form 👩💻⬆️☁️
- Best movies: 16 December 2020
- Final results 23: December 2020
🥇First place: Olympus TG6 shock and waterproof camera and an Eastwing geologist hammer
🥈Second place: USB microscope and an Eastwing geologist hammer
🥉 Third place: Professional headlamp and an Eastwing geologist hammer
🏅 The public vote special prize is an Olympus TG6 shock and waterproof camera and an Eastwing geologist hammer